[K12OSN] HTML exploits

Daniel Hedblom daniel.hedblom at skola.solleftea.se
Tue Jul 13 23:32:47 UTC 2004

Hi!

I use a simple firewall with dansguardian on squid (for eg. IpCop
Firewall) stopping .exe .com .zip and such filetypes and it have saved med
tons of work. If the culprit files cant be downloaded its not that much
that can get into your computers at the network. This also stops many from
d/l viruses from webmails witch is not checked for viruses at the
mailserver. There are few occasions when a user should be able to download
an executable. Dansguardian lets you specify ip to designated workstations
that should be able to d/l stuff.

The amount of work this has saved me is very big. To monitor for all the
numerous exploits for Windows would require pretty much processing power.
There are comercial (expensive) solutions but i dont know of any open
source ones. Maybe because it would just be stupid to hold hands on
Microsofts products wich is where the effort to fix things should be.
Especially when there are better alternatives out there for free.

Just my /dev/random