[K12OSN] HTML exploits

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jul 14 00:42:29 UTC 2004

Ehrhart, Jay wrote:

>Leaving Microsoft Internet Explorer may solve some of the exploits but
>what about the rest?  Also I have 12,000 desktops behind my firewall at
>school districts that I don't have control over and need to protect.  I
>am looking for a solution for desk tops that I can control and those
>that I cannot.
>
>Is there an open source solution that product that can filter web
>traffic for HTML exploits, hi-jackings and other web page viruses and
>maybe even some spyware?
>
>Thanks

I don't know of either an open source or Free Software solution (yet),
but I do it at the router with something called policy routing.
Basically, any extension that I don't like, I block right there, so the
attachment never gets through to the trusted network in the first
place.  I had to learn how to do this back in the days of Code Red,
since we're running a lot of IIS (unfortunately).  Since you obviously
have Internet connectivity, you therefore have a router, and so this may
be an option for you to consider.  Feel free to let me know off list if
you want to try this, since it'd be kinda off topic.

--TP