[K12OSN] VNCViewer and speed of refresh

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Jul 14 13:43:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:23:38AM -0500, Doug Simpson wrote:
> I have vncviewer set up and working but when I use it over the WAN (DSL
> and one end and T1 at the other)the screen paints about one line a second.
>
> Is there any way to speed this up?  It works ok, but every little change
> on the screen and the whole screen has to be repainted. Large white spaces
> or spaces with uniform solid colors and nothing else paint faster but
> there are very few screens like that in a graphical environment.
>
> If there are any tweaks or adjustments, I'd sure like to know.

Doug, you didn't say what types of systems you are accessing via VNC.

If you are trying to remotely access a Linux box, you should do a remote
X-Window, tunneled thru ssh.   Its will be 5 to 10 times faster.

If you are trying to remotely access a Windows box, make sure you are
using "TightVNC" on the Win box.  Its a little smarter about updates
but all VNC over this type of link is painful.

There is also "rdesktop" as an option.

--
Our father, which art in Redmond, Monopoly be thy name.
Thy empire come, thy OS never done, shipping as it is in development

Give us this day, our daily bug And forgive address violations
as we forgive those viruses that trespass against us

Lead us not unto competition but deliver us from Choice
For thine is the license, the revenue and the greed forever. Amen

Linux and Open Source.  The New Base.

Now All your base belongs to you, for free.