[K12OSN] VNCViewer and speed of refresh

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 14 19:31:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 14:19, Doug Simpson wrote:
> OK, I knew about that but had always used VNC thinking it was better or
> whatever.
>
> If this was so easy, why would anyone want to use VNC? and why did that
> guy send me off on the greek goose-chase for something so simple. . .

VNC has advantages in several situations.  The most common is that
you are running cross-platform with windows as the client or
server.  Another is that you want to grab the console screen
or keep a long-running session where you can disconnect
and reconnect over a period of time.  Another is where the
bandwidth is so bad that X just doesn't work.  VNC will also
perform badly then but it may be possible to type in some
commands and get something done.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com