[K12OSN] POP3

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jul 15 21:05:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:12, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> The disadvantage to dovecot is that it uses standard mbox format, which is not quite
> as robust as cyrus-imap's database. The advantage to dovecot is that it uses the mbox
> format, so you can easily use mutt to look at your email without reconfiguring (assuming
> one _can_ reconfigure mutt to do so).

Dovecot is able to use Maildir format (one message per file stored in
a folder in your home directory) like qmail would use.   Procmail also
knows how to write in Maildir format, and sendmail should be configured
to use procmail as the local delivery agent.  You should be able to
write a simple .procmailrc that pre-sorts your inbound email into
imap folders that dovecot understands.   At least I hope so.  I have my
own mail on an SME box doing something similar with qmail and their
imap server but was planning to move it do fc2/dovecot soon.  I'm not
sure if mutt knows imap or not - you can use pine in character mode
to access imap folders if necessary.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com