[K12OSN] dual Xeon and FC1

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Jul 16 19:23:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Doug Simpson wrote:

> Now you really have me worried, though!
>
> My new server is coming with 12GB RAM. . .
>
> I really need so info here, guys!
>
> What is the RAM issue and what is the possibility of the Dual Xeons
> working?

Doug,
	it seems that people have mixed results with large memory kernels
on 32 bit systems. The problem is that the tricks used to move around
pages to actually access memory over 4GB don't always play well with all
mobos and processors. I had dismal results, others reported excellent
results, ymmv. the new 64 bit xeons will be available shortly. it might be
worth the wait, since all the extended memory issues are moot on them.
julius