[K12OSN] Programming Languages

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Thu Jul 22 16:53:52 UTC 2004

Shawn posted a few really good links in regards to Python for students...
unfortunately I've moved computers and all my old saved mails didn't
come with me ...

I get my python from http://www.activestate.com...they have it available
for many platforms...

Python is easy enough to learn and works on multiple platforms...has
wxPython which lets you make "windows" programs...
here's a little commandline script I've developed to make usernames for
me =)
Those of you who are programmers thank you for disregarding the lack of
optimization and succinct commenting =)

Input is a textfile with <firstname> <lastname> of user each entity on
seperate lines

Example follows:

#Funkified by Huck on 20/06/04 dd/mm/yy
#string required for the manipulation of strings
import string
#making a nifty menu system below
def print_menu():
   print '1. Press 1 to (i)mport the namelist.txt file'
   print '2. Press 2 to (g)enerate usernames'
   print '3. Press 3 to (p)rint new usernames.txt file'
   print '4. Press 4 to E(x)it the Program'
numbers = {}
menu_choice = 0
print_menu()
while menu_choice != 4:
   menu_choice = input("Type in a number (1-4):")
   if menu_choice == 1:
      #Open the file "namelist.txt"
      in_file = open("c:\\namelist.txt","r")
      #variable "textfile" gets filled with info from namelist.txt
      textfile = in_file.readlines()
      #Close the file "namelist.txt"
      in_file.close()

   elif menu_choice == 2:
      #The Loopy Loopy
      namenum = 0
      out_file = open("c:\\my documents\pythonscripts\usernames.txt","w")
      print namenum
      while namenum < len(textfile):
         #Manipulate the namelist into pieces we can handle
         mystring = textfile[namenum]
         newlist = mystring.split()
         fname = newlist[0]
         lname = newlist[1]
         fname = fname[:2]
         lname = lname[:4]
         #Concatenate and Write to File
         out_file.write(lname+fname+"\n")
         print lname+fname+" has been written to file."
         namenum = namenum+1
         print namenum
      out_file.close()
      namenum = 0
   elif menu_choice == 3:
      #Gimme some output baby!
      in_file = open("c:\\my documents\pythonscripts\usernames.txt","r")
      funkytext = in_file.readlines()
      in_file.close()
      print funkytext
   elif menu_choice == 4: