[K12OSN] Mail Server

Rick O'Dell rodell at bakersfield.k12.mo.us
Thu Jul 22 21:05:42 UTC 2004

	Thanks, I'll try that...

Rick O'Dell
Net Work Administrator
Bakersfield R4 School Dst.
Phone (417)284-7333 ext 303
rodell at bakersfield.k12.mo.us

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:41 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Mail Server

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 15:30, Rick O'Dell wrote:
> 	Hi all, I am having Mail Server problems. I installed k12ltsp 4.01,
> Postfix, MailScanner, Spamassin, ClamAV. The Box Is AMD 1100Mgz with one
Gig
> of Ram. All worked well for a couple of weeks, yesterday it locked up,
check
> of log files shows "Mail Kernel: Out of memory Killed process 11999
> (MailScanner)". Can anyone tell me what's going on, and what can I do to
fix
> it????

If you run 'top' when it is under load you can probably spot the memory
hog.  There are are a lot virus-infected machines being used to
forward spam and some are doing dictionary-type attacks on user
names as addresses.  If your scanner processes before rejecting bad
user addresses you may just be overwhelming it with volume.  One
machine here is getting about a thousand an hour coming from distributed
sources.  If you are scanning, then trying to bounce the errors back
to a forged source address that might be enough to kill a machine.
I don't use postfix but it probably has a way to throttle the rate
it will accept based on the number of connections or load.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.