[K12OSN] terminal was working, now stalls when loading kernel

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jul 23 12:40:52 UTC 2004

I've got a 4.0.1 (FC1) k12ltsp server that has just a single thin client.  The
client was booting just fine.  But the server was having trouble printing to the
USB printer attached to it.  So, among other things, I rebooted the server at
one point, and while I don't think that was the actual fix, I was able to get
printing to work.  Then I went back to the client machine, hit the reset button.
  It boots from an etherboot floppy.  It gets an IP address from the server, but
when it starts to load the kernel it seems to stall, displaying just a few dots
at a snail's pace (I gave up after 20 minutes).  I suspect the firewall
(iptables) is interfering, as I think I turned it off originally, though not
permanently, to get things working.  Has anyone seen this before?  I used just a
standard install, no firewall tweaking.  What ports need to be open for clients
to load the kernel?

Petre