[K12OSN] File Permission Problem

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jul 30 13:01:06 UTC 2004

Don't ask why, but here is my problem.  I have been hosting a MS Access
Database on our OSX server but now have moved the database to the new
WBEL machine.  I have a problem with multiple users logging in at the
same time.  Lets say that "root" is the owner of the database and the
enclosing folder, and "data" is the group assigned to the database and
the enclosing folder.  Both the owner and group on the database and
folder have full permissions.  User x,y,and z belong to group "data".
User "x" logs into the database and the .ldb (locked database) files are
created.  This new file is now owned by user "x" since it was created
due to their login.  The owner "x" has full permissions but the group
"data" has read only.

So is there a way to set it so that any file created inside this folder
will give both the owner and group full permissions, no matter who
creates it?  I know I can run a cron every so many minutes to fix this
but that seems like a last resort.  I figure if I could get it to work
in OSX there must be a way to in Linux.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department