[K12OSN] D Day

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jun 2 12:24:50 UTC 2004

daniel.hunt at iibbank.ie wrote:
> Daniel, slightly annoyed about the windows option, but nothing he can do
> about it for now :o)

Sorry, I *just* jumped on this thread so I don't know the whole history,
but thought I'd add my "infiltration scheme" to the mix.  I had 1
teacher that was willing to try LTSP.  The principal was easy to get
onboard, because the other teachers were able to take his lab time.  I
had 4 junker computers, and one "OK" PIII server.  He used it all year,
and the kids were doing things that the other classes (the ones with
access to all those lab macintoshes) weren't even close to doing.  The
real eye opener was that when you took away all the silly "learning
games" the kids were able to use the computers as tools to learn regular
curriculum (isn't that what computers were always supposed to do for us?).

BTW, I didn't mean to open a can of worms with the "silly learning game"
comment, that's just our circumstance.  (see my .sig, I've gotten in
trouble before for spreading my opinions on listservs)

Anyway, having the pilot program has made the whole district less
linux-wary.  That, and a huge budget crunch really makes linux look good.

Don't lose hope,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers