[K12OSN] D Day

Scott Sherrill scott at hancock.k12.mi.us
Wed Jun 2 12:59:57 UTC 2004

I think the phrase "the real world uses Windows" is the next big
point we need to address.   The same statement has been mentioned at
my school too.  I have a teacher very afraid of switching to Linux,
I've shown him how it works, he's used it, knows what applications
are available, he even likes using Linux, but don't switch his lab
because "the real world uses Windows".  The phrase raises it's ugly
head in other spots too (substitute Windows for Office and I am
fighting that one too).

Perhaps we should compile a list of companies that are using Linux on
the desktop. If we could illustrate and document that companies large
and small are using Linux and switching to Linux on the desktop
perhaps we could dispell that statement?

Off the top of my head:

* IBM - switching to 100% Linux on desktop in 2005? (anyone have an
article to support?)
* Haliburton - 13,000 desktops switching in 2005
(http://www.cio.com/archive/031503/opensource.html)
* Ford - I swear I heard Ford was considering the switch on Slashdot.
* Largo, FL
* ?

Thoughts?