[K12OSN] D Day

Paul Vittorino wiz8 at mac.com
Fri Jun 4 15:21:06 UTC 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Jim Wildman wrote:

> If you watch closely you can see that Lowe's is using what looks like a
> Linux thin client, at least in their wallpaper department.  It is
> definitely a kde implementation.
>
> Autozone also uses Linux.  Looks like as a login from a terminal
> arrangement.
>
> In both cases, I happened to catch a terminal as it rebooted.
I happen to work for a growing computer retail chain and Linux is used
extensively throughout the business. Besides having an HP-UX box
running custom POS software, the Wyse60 terminals used as registers
were replaced a few years ago with flex-atx PCs that pxe boot from a
RedHat 6.2 box in the back that also acts as an internal web server and
proxy. Except for a few human glitches, this system has worked
flawlessly and allowed the company to implement electronic signature
capture when credit card purchases are made. I know that if a keyboard
fails or a monitor goes out, it is much cheaper to replace a keyboard
now from shelf stock than waiting on a replacement for a Wyse keyboard.
And with the openness of the system, the implementation of thermal
receipt printers was achievable.

Paul