[K12OSN] D Day

Paul Vittorino wiz8 at mac.com
Fri Jun 4 16:09:55 UTC 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

>> I happen to work for a growing computer retail chain and Linux is used
>> extensively throughout the business. Besides having an HP-UX box
>> running custom POS software, the Wyse60 terminals used as registers
>> were replaced a few years ago with flex-atx PCs that pxe boot from a
>> RedHat 6.2 box in the back that also acts as an internal web server
>> and
>> proxy. Except for a few human glitches, this system has worked
>> flawlessly and allowed the company to implement electronic signature
>> capture when credit card purchases are made. I know that if a keyboard
>> fails or a monitor goes out, it is much cheaper to replace a keyboard
>> now from shelf stock than waiting on a replacement for a Wyse
>> keyboard.
>> And with the openness of the system, the implementation of thermal
>> receipt printers was achievable.
>>
> Paul,
>  would you happen to know how they do the signature capture? julius
Unfortunately I don't. I believe they are serial devices with a LCD
screen. I'll try and take a closer look at exactly what make and model
is being used if you like. As far as sharing valuable information, the
corporate office would even let us use nor the IT give us the custom
Wyse terminal emulator they wrote for the registers. Our store wanted
to get rid of windows on the sales floor workstations but nothing
available for Linux would do the emulation that Procom would. I was
even lucky enough to talk to the person who wrote the emulator when he
was in the store to do a hardware upgrade.

Paul