[K12OSN] 853 unread messages...

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed Jun 9 12:06:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 18:56, John Ingleby wrote:
> Interesting... this issue just came up for me, too. I've been running
> www.schoolforge.org.uk for a year now, which started life as a Wiki and
> is now a PostNuke site. Over that time, from various email lists, I've
> accumulated lots of messages with really useful information in them, but
> never managed to develop them into Wiki pages.

-snip-

> So I've been looking for a forum package that integrates with email
> lists, and FUDforum seems to meet the bill. If so, it could turn a
> mailing list into an easily searchable, up-to-date archive, to which you
> can post either by email or web access.
-snip-

I'm going to contribute to this discussion, not because I have a great
deal of knowledge in this area, simply because I have an interest in
knowledge systems ... and I'm an opinionated bore ;-)

I've got a lot out of this list over the past 18mnths simply because it
_IS_ so diverse.  Someone's OT message may spark my interest and I'll
look at a web site or three that would never have come to my attention
before.  Restrict this list to specific topic groupings and I would
never have that exposure because I have too much to read already and so
little time.  On the other hand, force me to look at something and I
usually go "Oh yeh, that's got to be useful" or I just skip over it.  As
for the vexed question of accessing all that unstructured and
(seemingly) disparate information, then all I can do is repeat that
well-worn phrase, "Google is your friend".  I've actually ended up
subscribing to lists that I've never heard of after a web search led to
an answer on a mailing list.

--
	Regards,

	Gavin Chester