[K12OSN] pxe boot from hard-drive?

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Wed Jun 9 23:33:00 UTC 2004

Quentin Hartman wrote:

>I did this by downloading the file from Rom-O-matic that acts like a
>Linux kernel. Then, I booted the client machine from a Linux Live CD (I
>used a Gentoo Live CD, though any you are comfortable with would work)
>and then created a small boot partition on the hard disk and installed a
>bootloader (I used grub, but LILO would work as well). Then I just
>configured the bootloader to load the file from rom-o-matic just like a
>kernel image. It worked great. This also allowed me to easily setup some
>of the clients to multi-boot into Windows and local Linux installations.
>I know these are broad strokes, if you need more detail, let me know.

I for one would love more detail..

Which tools did you use to create the partition?

Is there a  way to non-destructively resize "other" partitions using
open source tools?  (i know, could be an added benefit to remove what is
on the hard drive, but I'm stuck)

What commands did you need to install grub, etc.?

I should just try this on my own and write it up, but a little more
detailed walkthrough would me help through the rough spots if you have
the time.

Ben