[K12OSN] pxe boot from hard-drive?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 10 17:19:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 16:33, Ben Nickell wrote:
> Which tools did you use to create the partition?

Just normal Linux partitioning tools, fdisk or cfdisk would work. I
prefer cfdisk as it is more "visual". More detailed instructions on
setting up partitions using Linux-native tools can be found here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4

> Is there a  way to non-destructively resize "other" partitions using
> open source tools?  (i know, could be an added benefit to remove what is
> on the hard drive, but I'm stuck)

You can use parted (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html), but
as always goofing with partitions can be dangerous. I haven't had a need
to resize partitions in some time, but in the past I used Partition
Magic. It worked really well and was inexpensive. It likely supports
most Linux filesystems these days. The version I last used (maybe 6?)
actually came on a bootable CD, so you could just stick the disc in and
re-size stuff without having to install. Very cool indeed.

> What commands did you need to install grub, etc.?

If Grub is available on your Live CD of choice, you can just type the
command "grub" to enter into the "grub shell" which is where you do most
of the setup. More detailed instructions (which are specific to
installing Gentoo, but are generally applicable) on setting up GRUB (and
LILO) can be found here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9

> I should just try this on my own and write it up, but a little more
> detailed walkthrough would me help through the rough spots if you have
> the time.

If I have the time this weekend, I will write a little howto in the
wiki, but  hopefully this will get you down the road a bit.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Technology Coordinator