[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 10 19:52:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 22:58, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi K12 list
>
> First of all, thanks and congratulations on your good work.
>
> What I'd like to know is. When is the release date for the new K12 with
> FC2? I have some schools on my case who desperately want it, and it
> would be nice to be able to tell them more or less a week, a month, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> Jonathan

Well, I won't even think about putting out an official release until
LTSP 4.1 is officially released. Jim and I chatted just before we both
left town last week, it sounded like he was quite close to having
LTSP 4.1 ready. I'm sure that the standard "it will be ready when it
is done" estimate still applies ;-)

I'm almost at the end of the school year, so the amount of time I have
for hacking on K12LTSP will go up dramatically. I have most of the work
done for K12LTSP 4.1, but the testing phase can take a week or more,
depending on what type of complications I run into.

I've been using the K12LTSP 4.1 alpha releases quite heavily. It is using
fairly recent CVS version of LTSP (think of it as LTSP 4.0.99), so I don't
expect any huge issues to come up between now and the final release.

I'm also considering a K12LTSP 3.1.3 and a K12LTSP 4.0.3 release. The 3.1.3
release would contain new apt, up2date, and yum packages that point to
fedoralegacy.org for updates, as well as include the various updates since
3.1.2 was released. K12LTSP 4.0.3 would contain the LTSP 4.1 packages, for
those who want the latest LTSP but are not brave enough to update to FC2.

The K12LTSP 3.1.x and 4.0.x releases are very solid, I want to make sure
that people feel that they are not forced to make the huge jump to the
FC2 based K12LTSP 4.1....

-Eric