[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Thu Jun 10 21:12:00 UTC 2004

> I'm also considering a K12LTSP 3.1.3 and a K12LTSP 4.0.3 release. The 3.1.3
> release would contain new apt, up2date, and yum packages that point to
> fedoralegacy.org for updates, as well as include the various updates since
> 3.1.2 was released. K12LTSP 4.0.3 would contain the LTSP 4.1 packages, for
> those who want the latest LTSP but are not brave enough to update to FC2.
>
> The K12LTSP 3.1.x and 4.0.x releases are very solid, I want to make sure
> that people feel that they are not forced to make the huge jump to the
> FC2 based K12LTSP 4.1....
>

> -Eric
Thank you, Eric! I've been using 3.1 quite happily, the new apt and yum
packages would be nice... but I would upgrade in a heartbeat if there
was better GUI controls for configuring older monitors! Is there
anything like that in the new packages? We had tried LTSP 4 on my
existing network and lost usage of half of my old monitors; they  work
fine with 3.1.

My Principal has given me the green light on another K12ltsp lab but
it'll be nothing but 14" and 15" monitors and dumpster CPUs. A local
business offered twenty old working monitors, enough for the new lab.
The new PXEs.iso < http://pxes.sourceforge.net/ > is looking very
promising for older NIC cards etc. but the manual monitor config still
causes brain damage ;) especially when there is a room full of 'em.

I read up a bit not heard anything about X.org and its ability to handle
older monitor refresh rates. Have you heard or seen anything about X.org
and older monitors?

all the best,
Dennis