[K12OSN] ReiserFS vs ext3 ?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Jun 11 14:42:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 20:33, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> >From what I've read ReiserFS should be much faster with K12LTSP. Anyone have
> personal experience using 4.01 (FC1) with ReiserFS ?
> 3.1.2 (Redhat 9) does not have ReiserFS.

I've gotten to the point that I use Reiser for just about everything.
The performance is noticeably better than with EXT3 on a system that is
heavily loaded. I can't speak to Eric's point about things going way
wrong when they go wrong, as I've never had anything go wrong involving
Reiser. One thing to note, however, is that it is pretty inefficient in
its use of space on small partitions. I still do my /boot partitions
EXT2 for that reason. A couple data points:

-Firewall / file server for a business in CO - Lightly loaded, been
running on Reiser for 7 months. No problems.
-LTSP machine at my last district - Heavily loaded, been running Reiser
(I think) for over / about a year, no problems up to the point I left
there in March, and none that I know of since.
-Firewall/Router/Web Cache, Web Server, and DB server for my previous
district - The firewall machine was _very_ heavily loaded, the others
lightly. All running for two years at the time I left on reiser with no
problems, and none I know of since.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-