[K12OSN] Linux kernel DoS exploit -- don't need root!

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 14 20:23:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 12:48, Calvin Park wrote:
> Yeah, I'm none too pleased. Oh well, I suppose I'm off to recompile the
> kernel.
>
> Eric, will the next version of K12 come "out of the box" with the patch?
> I know you might not have an answer for that right this second, or
> perhaps you've already answered it somewhere and I missed it. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> -Calvin

A patched kernel for FC2 was uploaded about 45mins ago. I don't have a
local copy yet. Presumably a FC1 version will be available shortly.

Apt/up2date/yum will pick up the patched kernel as soon as it is
mirrored.

As for the next builds of K12LTSP, yes I generally do include all of
the security patches. Kernels can be tricky, however, so I won't 100%
guarantee that this will be included. If you already have K12LTSP
installed, you'll pick up the patched kernel via apt/up2date/yum and
thus don't have to worry too much about what patches are, or are not,
included in the next release of K12LTSP...

-Eric