[K12OSN] Practical limit to number of samba shares?

Scott Sherrill scott at hancock.k12.mi.us
Tue Jun 15 18:09:54 UTC 2004

>We have /home mapped to H:\  but it would be more elegant to have H:\ be
>mapped directly to the student home folder. Does anyone know of any
>reason not to set up 500 samba shares on one of our k12 severs?

I think you can automatically with Samba.

try something like:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    ;browseable = no
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S
    users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775

then in your login script do a:
net use h: \\sambaserver\@userid"

otherwise you will have to continually maintain the shares when you
add/remove a user.  The above is all automatic.

If you still wanted an all homes share you could do:

[allhomes]
         comment = All Homes
         path = /home
         ;browesable = yes
         writeable = no

Scott
Scott Sherrill
Technology Coordinator Hancock Public Schools
Hancock, MI
http://www.hancock.k12.mi.us