[K12OSN] KDE and sound...

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jun 16 19:51:22 UTC 2004

Huck wrote:
> "WHY does sound not work with KDE?"

Maybe I'm wrong -- but I believe there is no way to get artsd (the KDE
sound server) to work with thin clients.  The gnome/icewm sound manager
(esd) works on the thin clients just fine.  Even with my ISA sound cards!

I believe this is a limitation of artsd.  That's also why I asked the
question about nasd -- because I have no idea what that is or does. :)

Even with esd (gnome/icewm) I've not been able to use the mixer, but the
sound does work pretty nice, with some slight "echos" at the end of
playing something.  For example, my "You've got mail" sound actually
comes out, "You've got mail 'ot mail."  But that doesn't bother me, it's
kinda funny.  ;)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers