[K12OSN] Weird GNOME stuff

Lewis Holcroft lewis at pcc.com
Thu Jun 17 15:16:12 UTC 2004

Johnathan,

At last I can give some input. Though I will also state I may be wrong.

This has happened to me several times and each time it is a result of
file permissions being incorrect. Not knowing what the windows in
questions do I can't solve your problem. But I can suggest a test.

Add a new directory in your home folder "mkdir test", you should now be
able to see the folder. Now log in as root and change ownership of the
folder to be owned by root "chown root /home/yourfolder/test". Log back
in as yourself. Does the folder have the wierd icon now? If so change
the ownership back. As root "chown yourlogin /home/yourhome/test"

If that was the problem, it's time to go see who owns the folder that
are giving you problems.

Lewis