[K12OSN] server hardware advice needed

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Jun 18 02:07:38 UTC 2004

For 15-30 clients, that ought to do it nicely.  My dual-Athlon w/ 4GB
DRAM works fine for 25, with room to spare.

You'll get some folks suggesting to go with at least SCSI, preferably
SCSI RAID 5, and they'll be right, assuming that your budget allows for
it (mine didn't).  I happen to use an 80GB IDE disk, and in my case,
things are hummin' right along very nicely.  But the SCSI advice is good
advice, especially if you'll be doing anything disk-intensive.

Were I you, I'd ensure that any NICs built into that motherboard, if
there are any, are in fact compatible with the *stock* Linus Torvalds
Linux kernel from www.kernel.org, without any additional third-party
drivers or other additions.  Making sure that this is the case will make
things much easier on you, trust me.  The way I test this is to try
installing a minimal Slackware system, since Slackware, with the sole
exception of v9.0 (one stability kernel patch was added back then), does
in fact use an unmodified Torvalds kernel.

--TP