[K12OSN] cups hangs/fails

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 16:34:19 UTC 2004

Please help!  My system here has suddenly started showing a load average of 3-4 even when no one is connected.  top shows lpstat (several actually) using significant cpu cycles.   I can manually kill the lpstat processes, but ... what damage does this do?  I am using cups (it worked flawlessly all year till now), but

/etc/init.d/cups stop  returns FAILED.  Also, a "cups start" returns
I [18/Jun/2004:12:29:27 -0400] LoadPPDs: No new or changed PPDs...
E [18/Jun/2004:12:29:28 -0400] StartListening: Unable to bind socket - Address already in use.

googling has revealed nothing.  I am at a complete loss.  Restarting the system (I am a windows user) doesn't fix it.

I need to get the printing working, but don't know why it broke.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Delaware 19713