[K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Jun 21 15:10:50 UTC 2004

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> I have thought of a few solutions,

My real quick "off the cuff" response is to make sure you check out
pgina.xpasystems.com -- it's GPL, and has kept me from setting Samba up
as anything more than a fileserver (ie, no Domain/AD stuff at all).  You
can authenticate local boxes from a wide variety of places.  It's great.

Apart from that -- you mention going between buildings.  With the
fileservers at each building, would users have separate documents at
each building?  Is that OK?  Moving them, assuming a linux fileserver,
is as simple as an rsync two-step if the person wishes to have documents
moved (and with central authentication, ownership is already set)

There has been a lot of talk recently about rsyncing on logout, etc --
but I haven't followed those threads (Our buildings are all connected
via fiber) -- but it might be worth looking into.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director