[K12OSN] Postfix Mail Server tutorial

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jun 22 19:43:49 UTC 2004

> Looks like I'm starting over again, I thought I might
> try this openweb mail. Is there any tricks to the install????

Here are my notes from my install.  I followed documentation from OWM's
site
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/packages/rhel
3/00HOWTO.TXT and then just made notes along the way for what packages I
installed and my steps.  If I remember right just following the steps
below should get you rocking:

Downloaded these packages:
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/packages/rhel
3/perl-CGI-2.81-88.4.i386.rpm
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/packages/rhel
3/perl-Compress-Zlib-1.21-RH9.i386.rpm
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/packages/rhel
3/perl-perl-suidperl-5.8.0-88.i386.rpm
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/packages/rhel
3/perl-Text-Iconv-1.2-RH80.i386.rpm
http://www.openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/redhat/rpm/release/openw
ebmail-2.32-1.i386.rpm

Installed them with #rpm -Uvh package in the order listed above.

Run #/var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/openwebmail-tool.pl --init
And make suggested changes, then rerun.

Modify /var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/openwebmail.conf
And set the "domainnames" variable to reflect "yourdomain.com"

Access with http://yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl

If all is well I create a simple redirect page to make easier access
with code from their FAQ page:

A: Please create a file, index.html, like below.
   Then put this index.html to the location mapped by the url you want.

content="0;URL=http://your_server/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl">
   </head></html>

That should be it.  There are a plethora of options to the setup, once
installed you may want to just scroll through the openwebmail.conf just
to familiarize yourself with the options.  The default location of the
WebDisk is to /home/user/WebDisk, I changed this in the openwebmail.conf
to /home/user/ so our users don't get confused, I want them to see the
same stuff both places.  In the Linux world, I haven't seen much simpler
than this :-)