[K12OSN] Windows Terminal Services

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jun 23 01:50:34 UTC 2004

Paul, et all:

I grow increasingly worried as my servers are traveling to my
district...  No one (including Microsoft) seems to be able to give me an
accurate picture of performance with many folks connected to a Microsoft
terminal services machine.

Paul's setup at Riverdale has 100 computers all able to access the
server -- but I doubt all 100 are usually connected.  I'll mainly have
folks using Microsoft Office (grumble grumble) and our proprietary
student management system, which isn't really that big.

Does ANYONE have any idea how many concurrent connections a big server
can handle?  I just found out today (again, showing my lack of Microsoft
experience) that there is no version of windows that can even try to
access more than 4GB of RAM in a server.  That worries me.

I have 1 Server, with dual 3.2Ghz/2MB Cache Xeons, and 6GB (only 4
usable now...) of RAM, all running on a RAID 5 ULTRA320 array, and dual
Gig ethernet.  I just couldn't think of anything more to throw at it for
performance!

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers