[K12OSN] Ignorance is bliss..but this is outrageous...

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 23 20:55:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 13:30, Huck wrote:
<snip>
> I need help in explaining that adhering to a standard and teaching the
> concepts behind the standard is more important than having flashy
> moving objects and animations on a website.
<snip>
> How would you go about nipping this in the bud given the decision
> isn't yours?

Try to explain _why_ this is bad. Since it's in a school, try to relate
it concepts they do understand. This idea isn't totally fleshed out, but
I would compare it to math. "Teaching how to use flash without teaching
the underlying concepts of web design like HTML and CSS etc. is like
teaching an advanced math class with calulators without teaching how to
add subtract, multiply, etc on paper or in your head." Something like
that. The big thing here is making sure that they know why teaching
advanced tools without having a grounded understanding of the
foundations for them is bad:

-Hurts problem solving skills
-Prevents in depth learning
-Frustrations from the above discourage furhter learning
-The students take away few usable applicable skills (ie - I know very
few people who work solely with flash for a living. They all must also
know other web design skills...)

etc... Good Luck!

--
-Regards-