[K12OSN] Terminal Services for Windows

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Jun 24 22:41:24 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:

> I know it's possible with citrix, but is it possible with standard
> Terminal Services (via win2k3 server) to send a single app rather than
> an entire desktop?
>
> My plan now it to show our secretaries how to use multiple desktops in
> KDE, and have one desktop be an rdesktop session.  If I could just get
> an app to work singly via rdesktop (I have the full licensing needed),
> that'd be even better.
>
> Thanks,
> -Shawn

Hello Shawn,

To my knowledge, Windows itself does not have--nor ever has
had--anything like the X11 protocol.  With Windows, the GUI is tied to
that specific instance of the underlying OS and itself knows nothing
about remote access or TCP/IP.  Therefore, Windows apps know nothing
about TCP/IP connections for displaying themselves remotely either.  So,
you'll need to give 'em the whole desktop, not just one app.

This is one of the forward-looking things about the old UNIX hackers and
the architecture that we who use that architecture are appreciating to
this day.  If you want that for Windows, then, based on what you
mentioned above, it looks like you've got to pony up for Citrix.

--TP