[K12OSN] cannot get machine booted

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Jun 25 14:55:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 07:42, Dale Harkness wrote:
> i have a few IBM PC 340 desktops that have onboard video cards (Cirrus
> Logic), about 16 MB of Ram, and about 3 GB of HD space.
<snip>
>  i thought maybe it might be the onboard video, so i slapped in a PCI based video card, but same
> thing happens there too.  is the IBM PC 340 just not going to work, i
> have tried 2 or 3 and none seem to work.

Was the chipset on the PCI card you put in also Cirrus? There are a
couple revisions of Cirrus chipsets that are supported on older Xfree
versions, but not newer ones. They are in the 54xx family, I don't
remember the exact model. Also, what about the monitor? If it is getting
run in too high of a refresh rate, some will blank the screen instead of
displaying the garbage typically associated with too high refresh rates.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Technology Coordinator