[K12OSN] cannot get machine booted

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Fri Jun 25 16:17:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 20:12, Dale Harkness wrote:
> i have a few IBM PC 340 desktops that have onboard video cards (Cirrus
> Logic), about 16 MB of Ram, and about 3 GB of HD space.  naturally being
> such a slow machine i wanted to use this for LTSP, so i slapped in a
> bootable NIC from Intel Pro 100.  when i try to take this machine onto
> LTSP it gets to the spot where it is starting XFree86, then just sits
> there and does nothing.  no error message on screen or anything.  i have
> let it go for a while and it does not proceed.  i thought maybe it might
> be the onboard video, so i slapped in a PCI based video card, but same
> thing happens there too.  is the IBM PC 340 just not going to work, i
> have tried 2 or 3 and none seem to work.
Did you set use nfs swap to "Y" in the lts.conf file for this
workstation? With memory less than 32mb GUI mode can only run with nfs
swap enabled. Here too the first time you boot the machine will take a
lot of time to boot as it creates a swap space on the server. Subsequent
starts are okay.
Secondly does the monitor light blink or turn colour during this period?
If it does then you may be having a resolution set higher than display
possible with that hardware.
In my mind the first point is the issue.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux