[K12OSN] LVM - is anyone using this?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Jun 25 17:11:52 UTC 2004

> Bert Rolston <bert.rolston at clear.net.nz> wrote:
>

> In Netware I could install a new drive in the machine then add some /
> all of it's capacity to an existing volume. Is that a rough description
> of LVM on linux?
> <<
>
> Yes, that's how it works. You'd slip in the new drive (hot-swap if your
> hardware supports it), then format the drive (or a partition on it) as a
> physical volume (fdisk & pvcreate) then add it to an existing volume group
> (vgextend). From there, it's a matter of using lvcreate or lvextend to
> either create a new logical volume or increase the size of an existing
> one.
> If you resize an existing one, bear in mind that you'll also have to
> increase the size of the filesystem inside the logical volume - for ext2/3
> use resize2fs. See the man pages for details.
>
> Most of this has to be done in single-user maintenance mode, of course,
> but
> down-time is minimal when compared with backing up and restoring without
> LVM.
>
> Best,
>
> --- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP

Les,
 this single -user mode is what i don't like about rh lvm. i want to be
able to fo on linux what i've been doing for years on unix: add a drive
to hot-swap enclosue, pvcreate, pvextend, lvextend and be done (if the fs
was equal to the sise of lv). no stopping the system, not even a big
hiccup. julius