[K12OSN] Printing problem V4.0.1

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Fri Jun 25 23:25:04 UTC 2004

> I think I've seen a problem with hpijs (or some combination of those
> letters) after an install/upgrade.  Generally, I just let it remove
> that package, and all seems well.  Let me open this thread up a bit
> and ask some questions:

Not sure if this is related, but I thought I'd share.

I have upgraded a few RH8 (K12LTSP 3 .0.x)based computers using lprng to
FC1(K12LTSP 4.0.x) using cups.

Most of the time after the upgrade, printing is broken.  yum erase cups
(and dependencies) and yum install cups (and dependencies), + reinstall
printers gets it going.

I'm sure there is a simpler way, I just haven't bothered to look too
much.  There is probably an easy work around if I bothered to google for
it, but it hasn't caused me too much pain.

This happens whether or not I'm using K12LTSP. after RH8> FC1 upgrade
printing is broken too, so it is probably an upstream installer bug that
didn't get fixed, or the solution was harder than the workaround.

Who knows, maybe it's even in the release notes for FC1, but the link
from the fedora site for FC1 points to FC2 Relase notes.. hmmmm.

Ben