[K12OSN] Windoze Terminal Server and K12LTSP

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Jun 27 23:37:50 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>writes:
>

>>>Do your apps run on WINE or CrossOver Office?  If so, you'd avoid all
>>>of the above CAL/TCAL/WinServer licensing crap.  And yes, it is
>>>complicated; I used to be a MS reseller a few years ago, and I had to
>>>be very careful when making a quote for someone, especially if it
>>>involved Windows Terminal Server.
>>>

>How well does Crossover work on K12LTSP...anyone using it and can comment?

As a matter of fact, yes.  I don't have many Windows apps at home
anymore (don't need 'em :-) ), but I've got three apps running on my
K12LTSP 3.1.2 box w/ Crossover 3.0.1 beta (I'm a Xover "advocate" for an
app, so I get the betas).  The three apps are Internet Exploder 6.0,
32-bit Word 6.0, and 32-bit Excel 5.0 (these last two are the NT
versions from way back).  I connect from terminals and run my apps quite
nicely, though for the older Word and Excel versions I did have to
manually make a desktop icon and push it to all desktops (not that
hard).  Note that help menus for the older Windows apps that use .HLP
files might not work, but the apps themselves work like a champ.  For
"officially supported" apps like IE or MS Office 2000/XP, Xover
automagically makes icons in the GNOME and KDE "start" menus for you.
I'm trying to get an app called Time Matters from a friend of mine to
try it out as well.

--TP