[K12OSN] Having telnet come up automatically during bootup

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 30 20:20:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 13:27, Fulton, Wayne wrote:
> We are running terminals to a unix time clock system using old machines and
> linux. The terminals telnet into a server running the time clock system. Is
> there a way to have that terminal telnet automatically into the time clock
> server after the end user logs onto the local machine? (Ie. Script, etc.) We
> want to avoid our end users having to telnet manually into the server.

If these are LTSP terminals doing nothing but the telnet session you
can configure in lts.conf
SCREEN_01 = telnet
TELNET_HOST = ip.addess
Then you don't have to log into the server at all - it starts a local
telnet to the specified host.

If you are doing something more complicated and the time clock system
allows ssh, you can set up ssh keys for each user for passwordless
ssh connections to the time clock after logging into the server.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com