[K12OSN] Re: Routing

Tim Litwiller tim at litwiller.net
Wed Jun 30 21:47:12 UTC 2004

here is the information from an earlier post - even tho I can find it in
the achives - it was in my ent folder

edit /etc/sysctrl.conf

you need these 2 lines
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 1

then add your routes like this
route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmaks xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then make the config files that will reload those routes on a reboot
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-ethx

where ethx is each of your interfaces that have routes associated with them

then grep your already setup routes into the config files you just created

ip route show | grep ethx | grep via | cut -d" " -f1,2,3 >
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/router-ethx

do this for each interface that has routes configured for it replaceing
ethx with eth0 etc

next edit those the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-ethx file that
points to the interface the default route points to and remove the line
that has default via in it.