[K12OSN] Maybe Linux is ready for the desktop

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jun 30 23:53:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:25:54PM -0400, Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> From my experience, any student can sit in front of KDE, GNOME, and
> IceWM without a problem.

I set up an 8yr old with a Linux box.  He does FAR less damage to it, and
plays around with more .. 'positive' aspects of computing .. than he ever
did with any Windows boxes.  He can be rather destructive (inadvertently),
if he ever gets ahold of the 'Administrator' password of a Windows box. :^(

On the other end of the spectrum, my dad (who's almost 69!) was recently
set up with a Pentium II running Debian Woody and KDE 3.2.  He does his
email, web and letter writing.  Haven't replaced his printer (he had an old
Mac running OS8 or OS9, so most of the hardware wasn't transferrable >:^P ),
but he prints-to-PDF in OOo and emails it to a local copy shop, who prints
it for him for a few pennies. :)

-bill!