[K12OSN] D Day

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Jun 1 11:31:37 UTC 2004

You will need to make sure that all your clients are running 100BaseTX,
FDX (that means "switched", not "hub'd"), and that the server is on
nothing less than Gig-E.  If you don't have a network switch capable of
doing this, consider the Amer.com SR48G2i, which does this with aplomb
(I tested one this weekend).  It's basically a Cisco Catalyst 3548
without the heart-attack price tag, and it'll handle all 45 of your
clients plus your server on one switch.

Also make sure that all of your 100BaseTX drops are actually Cat 5 or
better.  We're still upgrading our schools' wiring plants to Cat 5e now,
and with good reason; there's still some Cat 3 sittin' out there.  You
don't want to even think of running 100BaseTX across such inadequate
wiring.  I made that mistake *once.*  If that's already taken care of,
then my apologies; I just wanted to make sure that cost was factored in
there as well.

--TP