[K12OSN] Re: Watchteacher/ vncviewer/ vncreflector

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Tue Jun 1 14:49:08 UTC 2004

I have tried multiple times to get vncreflector and watchteacher to work
without success. (more than 3 hours spent)

http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/content/vncreflector/vncreflector-how-to.html

My principal is coming to see the lab and it would be great if I could get
this to work. I have two questions. I cannot seem to get the vnc service
running under the services gui control (3.1.2). It always says it needs
xinetd running, but it IS running. At least that's what it tells me when I
click on xinetd service. Following the instructions , I always get stuck at

vncviewer localhost:99

no matter what password I enter (i've tried them all) I get "VNC Authorization
failed". I set the password with vncpasswd and
]# vncpasswd /usr/local/share/passwd for client (many combinations tried). I
have followed David's  instructions precisely so I'm out of ideas.
Please help me get this working.

Also, do I not have a default vnc installations with k12ltsp. I was able to
start vncserver service though without problems. I read some other people
having problems with vncviewer passwords. BTW If I go

vncviewer localhost:1

the vnc window starts okay but my students can't see my reflection.

I also tried the vncviewer -via 192.168.0.254 localhost:99 that didn't work
either. Same problem.

Robert Arkiletian
Eric Hamber Secondary