[K12OSN] Server Clone

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jun 1 17:59:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 12:16, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > Your problem is that you are using RAID on your master server
> > and trying to copy to plain disk partitions.
>
> I am using the PERC Raid Controller with Hardware RAID not Software
> RAID.  The drive I want cloned is / made from a hardware mirrored raid
> of 9GB SCSI's.  Both machines are already setup with the RAID in the
> controller bios.  When I boot to load linux all I see is a single 9GB
> drive on both machines known as /dev/sda and partitions into sda1 for
> /boot sda2 for / and sda3 for swap.  Since this is at the hardware level
> on both machines are your suggestions still relavant?  I don't really
> even care about my /home directory on sdb for now, but those are also
> hardware RAID5 seen as a single 205GB drive on one machine partitioned
> into sdb1 /home, and a single 54GB drive on the other machine with the
> same partitions scheme.  Everything is ext3.

OK - everything will still work if you skip the setup of the
software raid with 'mdadm'.  Probably all that has gone wrong
with the things you have done so far is that /etc/fstab has
the LABEL= notation and your cloned partitions don't have labels,
and you don't have a boot loader installed.  If that is the
case (or you can get to this point with the knoppix/tar method)
boot the k12 install disk with 'linux rescue'.  It won't find
your system if fstab is wrong, so make a directory in /tmp,
mount /dev/sda2 there and fix it to use the partition names.
You may need to comment out the /home entry with a leading '#'
if you don't have a partition for it yet. Be careful to 'exit'
to log out and reboot so the partition is unmounted cleanly or
cd out of it and umount it yourself before rebooting.
Once the real partitions match the fstab entries, booting
with 'linux rescue' should mount everything under /mnt/sysinstall
for you so you can chroot there and install the boot loader.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com