Re: [K12OSN] Server Clone

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 12:16, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

[SNIP]

Your problem is that you are using RAID on your master server and trying to copy to plain disk partitions.

I am using the PERC Raid Controller with Hardware RAID not Software
RAID. The drive I want cloned is / made from a hardware mirrored raid
of 9GB SCSI's. Both machines are already setup with the RAID in the
controller bios. When I boot to load linux all I see is a single 9GB
drive on both machines known as /dev/sda and partitions into sda1 for
/boot sda2 for / and sda3 for swap. Since this is at the hardware level
on both machines are your suggestions still relavant? I don't really
even care about my /home directory on sdb for now, but those are also
hardware RAID5 seen as a single 205GB drive on one machine partitioned
into sdb1 /home, and a single 54GB drive on the other machine with the
same partitions scheme. Everything is ext3.

OK - everything will still work if you skip the setup of the software raid with 'mdadm'. Probably all that has gone wrong with the things you have done so far is that /etc/fstab has the LABEL= notation and your cloned partitions don't have labels, and you don't have a boot loader installed. If that is the case (or you can get to this point with the knoppix/tar method) boot the k12 install disk with 'linux rescue'. It won't find your system if fstab is wrong, so make a directory in /tmp, mount /dev/sda2 there and fix it to use the partition names. You may need to comment out the /home entry with a leading '#' if you don't have a partition for it yet. Be careful to 'exit' to log out and reboot so the partition is unmounted cleanly or cd out of it and umount it yourself before rebooting. Once the real partitions match the fstab entries, booting with 'linux rescue' should mount everything under /mnt/sysinstall for you so you can chroot there and install the boot loader.

---
Les Mikesell
les futuresource com

If you want to re-setup the labels like they are on the original machine - the tool to use is 'e2label'.

Usage: e2label device [newlabel]
eg. e2label /dev/sda1 /boot

Sorry Mondo wasn't much help :/

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!