[K12OSN] Server Clone

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jun 2 14:12:00 UTC 2004

[SNIP
> Did you try booting the k12ltsp install disk in rescue mode?

I have used the WBEL install disk and chosen rescue mode, of course the
first time it fails to mount /mnt/sysimage and dumps me to command line.
There I create /tmp/sda2 and mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/sda2 then modify
/etc/fstab to /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda1 instead of LABEL=/ and LABEL=/boot
and leave everything else alone.  Then I reboot and it fails to mount
/mnt/sysimage again, I run through the same sequence and find that fstab
has maintained its settings.  Any ideas why it won't mount?  It gets an
invalid argument when trying to mount sda1 and sda2 on its own and tells
me that I have no linux partitions on the system.  But fdisk -l lists
Device	Boot	Start	End	Blocks	ID	System
/dev/sda1	*	1	13	104391	83	Linux
/dev/sda2		14	841	6650910	83	Linux
/dev/sda3		842	1092	2016157	82	Linux Swap
Device
/dev/sdb1	*	1	6607	53070696	83	Linux
(54GB Raid 5 for /home)

And if I try to mount /dev/sda1 or 2 to their /tmp/sda1 or 2 I also get
an invalid argument error, but if I rm /tmp/sda1 and 2 then mkdir
/tmp/sda1 and 2 and mount /dev/sda1 and 2 to /tmp/sda1 and 2 the mount
fine and I can again browse the directories cloned from the server.

So I tried the "e2label /dev/sda1 /boot" and "e2label /dev/sda2 /" and
recorrected the /etc/fstab back to using the LABEL=/ and LABEL=/boot and
tried again.  Still no luck mounting /mnt/sysimage, same errors.

Is there a way for me to rerun the linux rescue from the command line
after I have manually mounted the partitions?

Also my original system shows this for fdisk -l
Device	Boot	Start	End	Blocks	ID	System
/dev/sdb1	*	1	13	104391	83	Linux
/dev/sdb2		14	841	6650910	83	Linux
/dev/sdb3		842	1092	2016157	82	Linux Swap
Device
/dev/sda1	(205GB Raid 5 for /home)

So I am currently redoing my raid setups to hopefully get the new mirror
to also be sdb instead of sda incase for some reason that is affecting
things.  But from what current advice seems to hint it shouldn't since I
have been manually modifying fstab and system labels?

Also is the boot loader actually their since I can mount /dev/sda1 and
browse all my kernels and grub.conf and so on?  Or do I just have the
files but not the necessary boot blocks?

I am glad I keep my hair short or I would have one hell of a mess on my
desk right now.