[K12OSN] Server Clone

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 2 16:58:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 11:31, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> I think you are right here.  Ghost doesn't seem to carry over the proper
> formatting.  I can mount and see things but grub doesn't believe I have
> a partition worth installing onto.

If you can mount it yourself it should work as long as the
names/labels match in fstab.  Try the 'mount /dev/sda1 on
/tmp/sda2/boot'  and run 'grub-install' approach.

> I think I will look at this as a good opportunity to document the
> installation procedure to build the server from scratch.  Then hope to
> figure out cloning and backups at a more convenient date.

This is actually a safer thing to do anyway. If you want to
move to server with a different disk controller the clone
procedure becomes much more complicated.   As long as /home is
on it's own partition, it is not too difficult to re-create
everything else you might have changed.

> Thanks for all of your help everyone, I just cannot seem to grasp the
> concepts here.

I think you are pretty close.

> Ghost is easy but hoses formatting, Mondo looks like it could be easy
> but doesn't recognize my SCSI controller [...]

High-level approaches just combine a lot of steps for you.  The
problem is that when they don't quite work you can't tell which
of the simple steps went wrong.  The only part of what you are doing
that is very difficult is installing the boot loader and if
you get all the other parts right to where booting a CD in
rescue mode lets you chroot to your mounted partitions, the
grub-install script will do that for you.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com