[K12OSN] Server Clone

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jun 2 18:04:37 UTC 2004

> On the rsync topic - when you boot the new server with a
> knoppix cd - do
> you see the raid-enabled sda?
> If so - have you tried this :
> 1. partition disk with fdisk - setting up partitions the same as the
> original machine except home is smaller IIRC ...
> 2. mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
> 3. mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
> 4. swapon /dev/sdX (not sure you need this step)
> 5. mkdir /tmp/newroot
> 6. mkdir /tmp/newroot/boot
> 7. mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/newroot
> 8. mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/newroot/boot
> 9. run the rsync command which syncs original /boot to
> /tmp/newroot/boot 10. run the rsync command which syncs
> original / to /tmp/newroot 11. chroot /tmp/newroot 12.
> grub-install /dev/sda 13. reboot

What would be the syntax you would use to rsync the 2 machines?  There
are a lot of switches and suggestion in Google.  I assume I would issue
the rsync command from the Knoppix booted machine?  So far the syntax I
have seen suggested would be "rsync -a -e ssh user at masterserver:/boot
/tmp/newroot/boot", is that even close?  I think this will all work
assuming Knoppix recognizes my SCSI controller.  I think the format from
scratch will fix my boot loader problems.  I haven't booted the machine
with Knoppix yet but did burn a CD this morning to have ready.

Right now I am trying a different approach (and it feels sloppy), I
loaded a minimal install of WBEL, booted the machine up and logged in as
root, then issued "rsync -a -e ssh root at masterserver:/ /" and it is
chuggin away.  But I have a feeling this will just turn up crap :-)