[K12OSN] CigWin and K12LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 2 19:01:08 UTC 2004

There are two ways to connect. This one looks just like the thin
client:
Double-click the Cygwin icon on the desktop to get a bash shell,
then type:
Xwin -fullscreen -query your_k12ltsp_server
You should get the graphic login prompt, followed by the full desktop
from the server.  The only difference is that windows hotkey actions
override the X versions so alt-tab will toggle the active MS window
instead of within the X desktop (etc).

The other way is to:
export DISPLAY=:0
Xwin -multiwindow &
ssh -X your_k12ltsp_server
...start one or more X programs by typing their names.
This way opens separate windows for each X applications that are
managed more or less like MS apps.

Do it the first way to introduce Linux and X, the second if you
want to run one or just a few applications remotely, mixed with
some MS apps.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com