[K12OSN] CigWin and K12LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jun 2 19:42:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 14:21, Jim Hays wrote:
> I tried each of these with no success.
>
> I tried
>
> Xwin -fullscreen -query 10.1.6.100
>
> and got the "gray screen"

This should work from any location that would work with
a thin client.  Perhaps you are hitting the 'outside'
interface that has iptables firewalling.  The ssh -X
variation should have worked if you were able to log
in, though.

> (I successfully connected with vncviewer 10.1.6.100)
>
> Which is better?  VncViewer or CygWin?

If you have good bandwidth, Cygwin is better.  If you
are working remotely over a slow link, VNC is better.
VNC periodically scans the screen buffer, sending changes
so during fast updates it can skip some and catch up
with the final results.  Using X directly, you have
to transmit every change as it happens.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com