[K12OSN] Another Victory for the Flightless Bird!

[NOTE: Emails like this get me in trouble, PLEASE read my disclaimer]

Well, it was put to our staff here voted almost unanimously to switch this summer to our new teacher system (which is thin clients for every teacher) for next year. There are some that oppose the change, but financial issues really spoke heavily this year. The keys for me?

- Including Windows via rdesktop as an option, noting the high cost, but including it in the quote. This eased the mind of folks that didn't want to go into something unknown. Since LTSP allows you to boot a client directly into an rdesktop session, folks don't even have to see linux if they don't want to.

- Getting well respected outside folks to email the super, saying, "yes, thin clients are the way industry and education are going. It's very new, but there are advantages to being on the cutting edge." Also, a quote I love from our main outside consultant, "Thin clients are the logical way to go -- not because they're cool, but because they're the right thing to do."

- I keep referencing the superbowl ad from this year. IBM's single add was a linux ad. That's a lot of dough to waste on something if it's not viable.

- I have had to tone down my excitement about linux A LOT. That sounds odd, but I was so gung-ho about it, that it seemed to folks it was just my pet project that I wanted to push on everyone.

- Lastly, as a Mac school -- the same arguments that have been used forever about "it doesn't matter if they use a mac here, they'll be prepared for windows when they leave" that works just as well when you talk about linux. The precedent has been set for me.

So mark Inland Lakes Schools as an adopter of linux in the classroom. Finally.

[NOTE AGAIN: read my disclaimer.]

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director