Re: [K12OSN] D Day

On Jun 2, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Jim Wildman wrote:

If you watch closely you can see that Lowe's is using what looks like a Linux thin client, at least in their wallpaper department. It is definitely a kde implementation.

Autozone also uses Linux.  Looks like as a login from a terminal
arrangement.

In both cases, I happened to catch a terminal as it rebooted.
I happen to work for a growing computer retail chain and Linux is used extensively throughout the business. Besides having an HP-UX box running custom POS software, the Wyse60 terminals used as registers were replaced a few years ago with flex-atx PCs that pxe boot from a RedHat 6.2 box in the back that also acts as an internal web server and proxy. Except for a few human glitches, this system has worked flawlessly and allowed the company to implement electronic signature capture when credit card purchases are made. I know that if a keyboard fails or a monitor goes out, it is much cheaper to replace a keyboard now from shelf stock than waiting on a replacement for a Wyse keyboard. And with the openness of the system, the implementation of thermal receipt printers was achievable.

Paul